Re: "speckling" v "staining " (was New Orleans/glut) SEE SCANS

From: Ender100@aol.com
Date: 09/10/05-03:55:39 PM Z

Hi Katherine,

I don't know if I would use the numbers as a test, since they are pretty small
—and on one side, the light is passing through the step wedge and then
through a layer of Pictorico, so there is more spreading of the light and thus the
white numbers are receiving some exposure and it's not stain. This is even
exaggerated more because we used tubes for exposure rather than a point source
light. It seemed to me that when I compared the sharpness guide printed on gum
vs on Palladium, there is a difference with the gum capabilities (more "dot
gain" if you will) and this also shows with the step tablet printed in both
processes—but that's nothing to say except an indication of perhaps the limits of
what gum can reproduce in terms of the ppi of the file sent to the printer.
But I wouldn't call one printing a good test of this theory.

There is a very slight amount of "stain" on the Glut hardened paper, but it
could also be fog. We didn't test for that though. I also did not use
anything other than water development, so nothing was used that might clear that area
and give it the purer white of the edges or backside of the paper. The fact
that the edges and back were what I would call clear white. My guess is that
fog is a different phenomenon than stain, or is it? The two samples though
are clearly very different and it wouldn't take me too long to pick between the
two. However, to be fair, I would coat both papers with each gelatin and
hardner combination and test it that way.

Mark Nelson
Purchase the eBook & PDN System for Your Own Custom Digital Negative Workflow
@
Precision Digital Negatives
PDN's Own 31-Step Tablet Now Available—produced by Stouffer Industries
Coming Soon—Curve Calculator II will let you choose your toes!
www.MarkINelsonPhoto.com