Stinky paper and beer

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 12/15/04-01:08:04 AM Z

The origin of the stinky paper thread was, I believe, that some papers
stink, especially when wet -- but don't or didn't at other times or other
places.

I thought of this reading an article in today's (that's Tuesday's) NY
Times Science section... a discussion of beer making, in which the water
is apparently an extreme variable -- the pH, the minerals, and other local
and seasonal variations. Some of them, by the way, ending in "aldehyde" --
or maybe that was the stuff that got formed by the combinations...
whichever, I was struck by the info that these variations could make
stinky beer. There was a bunch of other info about how beer makers cope
(mostly additives) and about the effects that has on beer flavor and
taste. (No I'm not planning on making beer in the near future, but somehow
read the article while drinking my tea.)

This also suggests why Klaus Pollmeier's beer size for bromoil requires
one particular kind of beer -- meant seriously, though it sounds funny.

Judy