Re: A Process to Suit the Subject

From: Sandy King (sanking@CLEMSON.EDU)
Date: 02/14/02-09:35:50 AM Z

I am interested in this subject also having spent several weeks last
summer in southeastern Utah making negatives of petroglyphs and
pictorgrams at more than two dozen different sites. I made negatives
in 5X7 and 12X20 size, and slides in 6X6. I plan to print many of
these images in carbon, using pigments that match as closely as
possible the colors of the original scene. However, getting enough
contrast in the negative for printing with carbon, where a DR of 1.4
or more is needed, turned out to be pretty challenging, and the use
of filters helped little if at all.

In addition to printing these scenes in carbon I have also had some
success in reproducing these scenes with digital techniques, by
scanning my 5X7 negatives and printing them with the pigment inks of
the Epson C80 and 2000P printers. This allows considerable control of
contrast and an almost exact duplication of the colors of the scene.

Sandy King