Re: A Process to Suit the Subject

From: Cactus Cowboy (cactus@tritel.net)
Date: 02/12/02-09:31:46 PM Z

I've extensively photographed petroglyphs and pictographs in the
Southwestern United States. Black and White, while effective for some rock
art images, too often appears as just a bland record shot. Cibachrome is
horrible with this subject matter - too much of a false 'plastic' look. My
displeasure with conventional materials led in part to my experimenting with
gum for this particular subject. Gum, using pigments such as carbon black,
indian red, burnt sienna, raw umber, etc.... is exceptionally well suited
for rock art images. The rich earth tones available for use in gum printing
are such a good match for the actual subject - muddy yellow and orange
sandstones streaked with rich desert varnish. Many of the pigments used by
indians in creating pictographs are virtually identical to umbers and
siennas commercially available.

I've also photographed many cloud formations. The sky is an especially
accessible and appealing subject here in Wyoming. I've made some beautiful
prints of clouds using combination cyanotype and gum. It's possible to
create 'mind-blowing sunset' pictures using these two processes with a B&W
negative original.

Best regards,
Dave Rose
Powell, Wyoming

Here's a link to a (straight) digital photo of a recent sunrise in my
backyard:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/cactigal/msg012003238920.jpg