Re: selenium toner with salted paper

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 09/15/01-09:14:38 PM Z

Lukas,

Yes, I am sure about the recipe for both the gold and platinum toner.
To tone a 12X20 or 16X20 print with either of these toners you need
only about 0.5ml of either a 1% solution of Gold Chloride or
Potassium Chloroplatinite #3. In fact, you may be able to get away
with even less of the platinum solution. I just toned a 12X20 Van
Dycke print with the Potassium Chloroplatinite solution and used only
.025ml in 200ml of toner (with 1g of citric acid). It toned well.
Potassium Chloroplatinite #3 is one of the standard pt/pd chemicals
and is sold by Bostick and Sullivan.

The gold toner gives a warm maroon/black tone, the platinum toner an
almost neutral black, with just a bit toward brown.

The key to maximum capacity of this toner is to mix it in small
quantities, just enough to tone a print or two, and then discard.
This is real easy to do as the citric acid and gold or platinum go
into solution almost immediately so it is quite feasible to mix it up.

Sandy