Re: Carbon blacks

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 12/28/00-03:44:46 PM Z

First, your 3.5% dichromate solution for a negative with a DR of 1.9
sounds about right to me so I don't have any reason to suspect the problem
lies there.

Although I am not familiar with your materials it would appear that you are
using far too little pigment. I typically use between 40-60ml of Sumi Ink
per 1000ml of solution, and often add other pigmets for different tones. As
a first step to solve your problem I sugest you double or even quadruple
the quantity of pigment per 1000ml.

There is no reason to settle for weak blacks with carbon if you want strong
ones. Carbon is capable of Dmax values as high as those of silver-gelatin
prints.

Sandy King