Re: Proofing (Study Prints) for Alt. Process

Carl Weese (cjweese@wtco.net)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:07:29 -0500

Hi Dave,

Those are interesting ideas, though I'll mention again that my point
about proofs and negatives isn't a technical one. Since I develop large
negatives in pyro (and I'm now doing my "rilly big" negs in regular PMK
in a tray rather than on the Jobo) I can easily make proofs in silver on
VC paper. These can be done very quickly (expose six in a row and then
batch-develop) but it's quite expensive. I'm curious how other folks
address the proofing issue, and I continue to be interested how
technical the answers are, when I find 99.9% of the reason to make a
proof is esthetic. I can tell at a glance whether a negative will make a
technically adequate print or not, but I need a proof to tell whether a
negative contains a picture worth printing.---Carl