Re: Waxing Paper Negatives

Peter Charles Fredrick (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 21:34:49 +0000

Hi Adam re Subject: Waxing Paper Negatives

>>. Can any other kind folks write (on or off line) and briefly describe what
they've learned? Simple is better, but I'm willing to go the extra mile for
quality.<<

This is the method I use with my students :-
Take a large sheet of glass pour a puddle of sunflower oil in the centre,
this puddle should be about a quarter of the print size.Place the print on
the puddle, then apply a window cleaners squeegee, and gently but firmly
stroke the print taking off all the excess oil, turn the print over and
repeat the procedure, when most of the oil will have been removed.
Now take the print and sandwich it between two sheets of unused news print

[i am lucky as we have a fish and chip shop just around the corner and they give
me fish and chip paper at cost ]. Rub down with a clean cloth on both
sides, this treatment will remove most of the remaining surface oil, what
is left will leave the print slightly tacky but not oily.I have yet to try
ironing which may also work to further reduce the residual surface
oiliness. Once you have completed this process the print is ready to use.

however there is one snag with this method if you leave the neg out in a
hot dry environment it will after a few weeks begin to dry out . This
effect can be simply remedied by reoiling and/or keeping the neg in an
acetate sleeve

hope this helps

Pete

http://www.fotem.demon.co.uk/ To visit petes parlour gallery, there is now a