Re: Back-exposing on plastic (was: Re: Gum transfer

From: Yves Gauvreau <gauvreau-yves_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 10:47:20 -0400

Terry,

are you saying what I think you are saying, you can do a gum print like you say below in a single exposure.? Even if you say you need more then one exposure to do it like you said below and if Katherine is right and it is possible to get 10-12 steps to show with the best gum emultion one can make, then there is absolutely no reason in this world we can't make an excellent gum print in a single exposure and I'm not even using the curse word here. If as you say these guy did it in the 1900 why is everyone saying you can't make a good or better an excellent gum print in a single exposure even on this list, in fact some even tried to ridicule even the thought of it. You are absolutely right, I've been missing the point all along about gum printing. Did you know some folks are making up to 13-15 exposures gum prints.

As for making negative for platimum, something doesn't add up, correct me if I'm wrong and I may very well be, an in camera negative as to be carefully (precicely) exposed and develop for each scene because the lighting condition change all the time and everywhere and also it must mach the print process like a glove. Now if you do that for your patinum work (negs), I'm not surprised to ear your in camera negatives make better print then digi-negs. What I find surprising, knowing the rigor and control one must have to secure perfectly matching negatives in practice, is that you seem to do reach this perfect match let just say frequently. Even the most sophisticated digital cameras can't do it all the time and they never forget anything, the exposure is time to the millisecond, etc. I was never satisfied with the decicion I made at a scene while taking the shot(s) even with my D70 I always did some fine tuning on the original before printing it.

Today, I've come to the following approach, when I go out and take shots, I try to capture on film as much information (data) as possible or should I say as much as my scanner can read with minimal distortion and you would be right to say there maybe lots of info my scanner will leave out or not be able to read if you prefer. If I need to manipulate, numerically that is, my negatives and I always do, ok I'll admit I'm loosy at making perfect negative, I consistantly miss the target, I have a good excuse I think, I'm only human. For me, trowing out my digital camera is the best move I ever did, surprised, don't be no digital camera can capture an image like a large format camera can especially if you want to print large as well. This may very well not be true for long but I don't care and when I say I don't care I really mean it, soon I'll try out my 4 pinhole cameras cardboard box really and if I like what I see I'll probably put aside my 645 for while. I know I'm crazy I'm not seeking the perfect negative anymore, cristal clear image, depth of field, etc all of these mean absolutely nothing if the image doesn't make you physically react when you see it, yes my goal and my only goal now is to capture the magic of light, will I never be able to do it is another story. Yes this is the same guy who claim he can juggle with number and make them do what he wants, this new concept I'm working on will be able to do exactly what I claim pixel by pixel without any curve(s), compression or expension of any kind and if there is enough distinct densities a printer can produce to translate a 16 bits black and white digital image into 24 bits equivalent density triplets then may be you'll find pretty soon it is not worth the trouble to carry a big 8x10 around anymore because it will no longer make a difference unless of course they idea is to enlarge the 8x10 negative beyond the capabalities of smaller negatives.

Regards
Yves