RE: Dmax versus process?

From: Loris Medici <mail_at_loris.medici.name>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 18:37:54 +0300

I don't do all of them but I'd bet for carbon since you can use darkest
black pigments and the gelatine layer (which can be quite glossy
compared to plain paper) is thicker in the shadows. Gloss will
definitely improve dmax; I get log 0.3 - 0.4 increase by coating
semi-glossy (satin) polyurethane over the image, glossy polyurethane may
improve dmax further I presume. (BTW, IIRC, wet thickness of my
polyurethane coating is 30mils = 0.76mm...)

This is without regarding the adjective "enough" of course... It's
absolute. The answer to the question "Do you really need that much
dmax?" is highly subjective and image dependant.

Regards,
Loris.