Re: archivalness

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 03/29/06-01:44:32 AM Z

In a message dated 29/3/06 2:13:40 am, rs@silvergrain.org writes:

> Finally, I agree with Sandy that silver image is not very stable for
> display or long term storage unless it is toned.

This is surely on the basis that any image based on silver, which is more
subject to oxidation, is not going to be as stable as an image based upon, or
toned with, platinum,palladium or gold, That is a given. But evenso,
adequately processed silver prints not involvong iron, have survived in good condition
for i60 years.

Given all the problems that seem to arise,making iron/silver prints of
whatever kind, seems a little masochistic. But maybe that is true od altenative
photography as a whole. We could all do it the easy way.

Terry

Terry