Re: archivalness and alt process

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 03/27/06-12:41:24 PM Z

I have expressed my opinion on this before, but here goes again.

I personally do not find any advantage at all to argyrotype over VDB.
The color is slightly different, but no richer in my opinion and,
color is a subjective taste. Plus, if you really expect any archival
quality from either process I strongly believe the prints need to be
toned. At that point you are back to base one with color because
toning will change it.

On the other hand, I find some definite disadvantages to argyroptype
compared to VDB. The first and most important one is that argyroptype
is very paper sensitive and in practice many good papers that work
well with VDB do not work well argyroptype. Second, it is harder to
get a good coating with argyroptype with many papers without the use
of a surfactant. And third, argyrpptype is much more sensitive to hu
midity than VDB.

My comments are based on extensive work with both argyroptype and VDB
as well as traditional kallitype using ferric oxalate. On the whole I
prefer kallitype for the greater contrast control it offers, but
given a digital negative of the right contrast VDB is a close second.
For archival reasons I always tone both kallitype and VDB prints,
usually with palladium, platinum, or gold, or some combination of the
above.

As you say, in most cases discussions of this type eventually hinge
around personal preferences, and the things we best understand and
know how to do. And of course, once we have worked out the details
that have to be controlled to make good prints with any process we
tend to be satisfied and just make prints. So a person who has
already developed a good work flow with argyroptype does not need to
change anything about what they are doing. However, for a beginner
starting out and trying to choose between argyrptoype and VDB, I
would recommend VDB.

Sandy