Re: source for glutaraldehyde

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 03/03/06-05:26:14 PM Z

From: "Christina Z. Anderson" <zphoto@montana.net>
Subject: source for glutaraldehyde
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:00:14 -0700

> I finally found a source for glutaraldehyde, Maxicide specifically, made by
> Henry Schein. There is a 2.5% solution and a Maxicide Plus that is a 3.4%
> or something, the higher one not being necessary.

The 2.5% Maxicide by Henry Schein (without using the activator
solution) is the hardener you got from me.

> This company is in Greensboro NC and they will ship out quarts and are
> extremely nice to deal with. A quart will last a LONNNNNNG time. With
> shipping it'll probably total about $20, as a quart is $12.
> http://www.4webster.com/contact.asp
> Tell them Christina sent you :)

Those bottles, even a quart one, will not be finished by even a very
active alt printer within a reasonable period (say 5 years), unless
you teach a large class on regular basis. I strongly encourage people
to find glut-mates to split a bottle. Otherwise, the solution has to
be disposed of properly. There are several ways to inactivate the
solution before dumping it down the drain, but getting the right
amount from the beginning is the easiest way to go.

> Ryuji, just want to confirm this is the same stuff you sent me?? Maxicide
> brand??

Yup.

> I have been using the Black Magic hardener this week with the class, having
> half of them use the Maxicide which i have little left of, and half use the
> Black Magic. I will report if there is a problem with the Black Magic in
> hardening, but the problem with it is it stinks like sulfur with the
> addition of sodium sulfite. Hence my search for just plain glut.

I think what's added is sodium metabisulfite, which is also acidic but
also reacts with dichromate and it may not be a good idea for gum.