Re: Glyoxal?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 01/12/06-01:39:00 AM Z

Yellowing of gelatin is one of the most frequently mentioned issue about
hardening of gelatin with glyoxal on this list. It seems to me that, in
order to get useful degree of hardening in a reasonable time span, you
would have to use a lot of glyoxal, and, unless you remove the excess
after the gelatin is hardened, the residue will later cause yellowing
problem. All these problems are instantly solved by using a weak
solution of glutaraldehyde.

Glyoxal exists in monomer, hydrated monomer, dimer, trimer, etc. in
aquaous solution. Even in 40% solution, these species are present.
Trimer is more commonly seen in more concentrated solutions as well as
crystal form. I think the preferred choice (in terms of shopping) should
be determined by safety, ease of use, etc.

Glyoxalic acid is a partially oxidized form of glyxoal, where one
aldehyde group is oxidized to carboxyl group. When both aldehydes are
oxidized, it's oxalic acid.