Re: Nikon D200 (for alt)

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 02/07/06-09:05:06 AM Z

Hi Yves,
I'm a camera junkie in a way--I own pinholes all the way up to 4x5, and
teach all traditional camera formats.

I've shot digital for going on 3 years now because of the ease of deriving
color separation negs for gum. No scanning, no dust! I have a Sony
cybershot and a Canon Powershot s50. I much prefer the Canon for image
quality, but still, occasionally the edges of the image will be unsharp and
have color fringing. A major reason for going to SLR though (aside from
image quality of course, as a given) is shutter lag. And I have a whole slew
(sp?) of Nikon lenses.

I have a process of editing that works for me. I never edit in
camera--can't do that well enough from an lcd screen. I download at the end
of the day and view it in "slide show" mode, where I get delete happy. I
never moan about the "one that got away" but accept that what I have is what
I have. I did this same process with all my traditional negs this fall-went
through all of them and tossed about 100 contacts. I try to edit my images
as well as my mouth.

Do you know what I just found out??? Henri Cartier-Bresson did just that,
and CUT individual frames of his best shots so all could fit in one
shoebox!!! He regrets cutting the frames from the strip because they are
hard to print--or he did, anyway, cuz he's deceased.

You are right that digital does become an image management issue--you can
store negatives in a shoebox on a shelf and forget about them, but digital
you do have to whatever the term is migrate or something to media...Oh,
however, talk about image management--after my parents died I went through
20,000 slides and had to edit those down to a mere 8000. That took a lot of
time, and Salvation army got a lot of slide carousels, which, sadly, are
soon going to be of no use.

Dan, thanks for the apples to apples comparison on digital and that guy's
website, and the other website URL. I have yet to be a digicamera techie
and need all the help I can get. Jack, thank HEAVENS you found the D200 to
be better than your Olympus...since I made my purchase yesterday.
chris