Sharpness, contone (was Re: Useful results from gum tests

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 04/12/06-09:29:12 AM Z

John, what do you mean by "acceptably sharp"? Since sharpness is
anathema to me (in fact I just spent $$$$$ on a soft focus portrait
lens) it hurts me to have my work labeled "sharp."
  ;--)

But, for the Peter Marshalls of the world who are still saying that
gum doesn't print continuous tone well (another of those gum myths)
I probably should have specified that that dead seagull negative that
I use a lot for test prints, and that I used in the tests referred to
here, is a continuous tone 4x5 negative.

There's a page on my website that compares continuous tone to a
stochastic dot for printing gum. It's not quite the same as
halftone, which is what Peter was suggesting the other day would be
the best kind of negative for gum, but it does address the more
general question of whether dots are better for gum than continuous
tone.

http://www.pacifier.com/~kthayer/html/dotcont.html

Katharine