Re: gloy for tricolor on yupo?

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/03/06-03:54:11 PM Z

From: Katharine Thayer <kthayer@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: gloy for tricolor on yupo?
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:47:52 -0700

> Now there's a categorical statement. I would tend to agree that it
> seems odd to classify gum arabic as a protein; I would be more likely
> to classify it as a complex polysaccharide, since 98-99% of it is
> comprised of monosaccharides, (the bulk of these galactose,
> arabinose, rhamnose, and glucuronic acid) and only 1-2% is amino
> acids.

I agree that it is very odd to classify gum arabic as a protein unless
your focus is on the protein part. The reference you gave, Williams et
al is focusing on the protein nature of gum arabic and it's not too
odd that they call it protein.

Generally protein is defined as molecules comprising mostly linear
chains of amino acids connected by amide bonds. The maximum of 2% in
gum arabic is amino acids, and how much of it is protein?

> Sorry, I'm having trouble keeping up; I'm not sure I'm seeing all
> your posts.

I don't know if you are seeing but you didn't respond to my reply
about your argument of DCPVA work of Bolte. I'm warning that applying
her recent results to other cases is risky.

> Okay, so new information about PVA crosslinking makes
> it unlikely that PVA crosslinking and gum arabic crosslinking are
> similar, so you would no longer cite literature on PVA crosslinking
> to answer questions about gum crosslinking? In which case, we don't
> even have a clue about how crosslinking occurs in gum.

Why are you disregarding the wealth of relevant chemical information
in the literature and jumping the gun like that? You just need to use
good analytical skills to extract relevant pieces and think about the
most likely mechanism, and then test it.

Below is my post to which you didn't respond. To add a mini summary,
Bolte's and others' work indicate that the reactions involved in DCPVA
depends on the purity of PVA and the moisture content. You are
referring to Bolte's paper on very pure PVA and completely dry film
and trying to generalize to dirtier PVA or gum, which contains some
moisture, and in case of gum printing, receiving postexposure
rinsing. This is the problem.