Re: "speckling" v "staining "

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 09/10/05-08:13:46 AM Z

> Christina Z. Anderson wrote:
> The glut sample on the left has not been brush or spray developed, so the
>> actual "stain" you see is exposure, and will brush off. I did not brush
>> it
>> because I was doing a standardized PDN test--as standard as one can get
>> with
>> gum. In fact, with glut I can go back in months later and remove a coat.
>
> Chris,
> Do you remove it with water or just brush it off dry?
> kt

I would remove it during the first development in water while still wet. If
months later, I would soak the print for a good half hour or more, and then
remove while wet with much more vigorous brushing or a scotch brite--usually
the latter. When the print is dry it doesn't budge.

And, statistically speaking, in my book and students who use glyoxal, there
is enough stain/speckle/bump/dot/whatever you may call it, with glyoxal.
Statistically enough to make me question it as an adequate hardener. Maybe
it's the hardener/paper combo--but isn't glyoxal still supposed to do its
job?

We don't yet have enough "stats" on glut because it is so new--Ryuji first
proposed it to the list within the last 2 years. I certainly don't take
credit for glut's introduction as a hardener for gelatin. That is why I
hope anyone who uses the stuff will share their experiences, good and bad.
So far we have two bad experiences--Clay and you. And several good
experiences--me, Roman, Ryuji, and someone else from Europe I can't
remember...and Don soon to test---maybe he'll even the good/bad out by not
liking it.

As always, if it is working for you, why switch? It must work for some
people because Bostick and Sullivan sells it by the caseload I would
suspect. Glut must work, too, because it is the hardener in Photographer's
Formulary hardener and Black Magic liquid emulsion hardener.

If the test strips Mark scanned are similar to problems people are having,
then consider another hardener. I've seen enough gum printers outside this
university, if I dare breathe, at APIS too, that have similar results to
Mark's scanned wedgies, to encourage trying another hardener and/or
paper/hardener combination.

Now, if I could only get back to gum printing instead of scanning 2000
slides to put in Experimental Powerpoints...
Chris