Re: Gum problem(s)

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 11/18/05-06:54:03 PM Z

Yes, by all means test it for yourself. However please keep in mind that
this was only said and meant as advice for a beginner.

Beginners, and I was no exception so I know, mostly tend to coat too
heavily. In this context, the "newspaper test" is useful, I think.

"Who says" you ask. To tell you the truth I don't remember. I read it in
a couple of different places years back. When I find it again I will tell you.
Anyway it has been useful for me in a time long before Internet, when
there was nobody to ask.

What is important is perhaps not this test but the fact that the coat should
be rather thin and keep a certain transparency at all times. This fact is well
attested in the bibliography:

"If the coating appears to be dark enough to completely hide the paper
from view, then it's either too thick or too much pigment has been used."
("Historic Photographic Processes" , Richard Farber, 1998)

"The paper is covered with a thin coat of this mixture, so that the paper
can still be seen through the color..."
("Manuale prattico e ricettario di fotografia, Rodolfo Namias, 1914)

"Dieselbe (die Mischung) muss so dünn aufgestrichen werden, dass
das Papier noch durchscheint..."
("Das Pigmentverfahren, der Gummi-, Öl- und Bromöldruck und
verwandte photographische Kopierverfahren mit Chromsalzen"
Josef Maria Eder, 1917)

and many others. The "newspaper test" is only a simple method to
check the transparency of the coat before applying it.

But I think that it was originally meant for checking the dark colours
usually used for one coat printing. The transparent colours used for
trichromy are ... well ... transparent.

Tom