Re: Gum woes

From: Scott Wainer ^lt;swphoto@verizon.net>
Date: 05/09/05-09:48:02 PM Z

Hi Dave,

> Interesting to hear of your experience being a color blind photographer.
Is
> it frustrating at times?

Yes, very. Driving with me in states like New Jersey where they turn
stoplights sideways can also be hair raising; kind of hard to tell which one
is red and which one is green. But usually I avoid it by working strictly
with monochrome processes. And it does make for interesting conversations
when non-artists to find out i'm colorblind.

> As noted by others, the type of paper used and sizing will make a big
> difference. FWIW, I've had good results using Rives BFK paper treated
with
> a gelatin size hardened in formaldehyde.

I've been looking for a supplier of formaldehyde but most chemical suppliers
don't carry it or won't sell it unless you are a big institution. Can you
recommend a supplier? I would like to try it; having used glyaxol and chrome
alum.

> For sizing, I soak the paper in gelatin solution for about five minutes
and
> then draw it at an oblique angle between two very smooth wooden dowels
> (finished with polyurethane). This strips the excess gelatin off the
paper,
> leaving a thin coat behind. After treating the paper twice in this
manner,
> I soak it in a formaldehyde solution and dry it. I've never brushed on
> sizing so I can't say that my method is better.

Usually I don't size at all with the other processes I use; never found the
need. I tried brush sizing Lenox for use with Ware's cyanotype formula but
that was a mistake - the sensitizer reacted with the size and made a mess.
Now that I am "taking up" gum printing i'll have to add experimenting with
different sizing methods to my "to do" list.

> The real 'magic' in gum printing comes when you have control over the
> process and can manipulate the variables during multiple printings to
create
> effects that are unattainable with conventional photo processes.

Right now i'd just settle for getting a decent image.

Regards, Scott

swphoto@verizon.net