Re: silver prints (Re: ULF photography)

From: Bill William ^lt;iodideshi@yahoo.co.jp>
Date: 01/21/05-11:55:18 AM Z

> I might like to add that, while silver gelatin was born
as an in-camera negative material in 1871 followed by
others who improved this technology to a huge success in a
matter of few years, and while people adapted this
technique to POP and developing paper emulsions, the
quality of printing emulsions and processing in general
were not very good until a few decades had passed.

Actually Ryuji, this is not correct.

I am fully aware History has been so written but I have
found documentation to the contrary. Silver halide gelatin
emulsions for POP preceeded Silver halide gelatin
emulsions for (developing out) dry plates by many years.

Furthurmore, I think it was not so much that the quality
was so bad as the fact that it was the amateurs, not the
professionals, who embraced the silver halide-gelatin
process initially. They were a pretty hard bunch to crack.
Their materials, while slow and burdensome, worked and
they didn't trust the new amateur processes, nor did they
understand the degree of care the new materials required
for successful use.

Ray Rogers

(more usless trivia?)