Re: Autoclaving gum and gelatin

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/04/05-08:36:02 PM Z

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Sandy King wrote:

> Well, deja vu all over again. I thought we had put this puppy to rest with
> previous discussions. My experience is that raising the temperature of a
> gelatin solution to 140º F for a relatively short period of time (say two
> hours or less) does not break it down. However, if one were to keep the
> temperature of the gelatin at 140º F or higher for a long period of time
> (four hours or more) , or go through several cycles of heating and cooling
> the solution, it will break down.

I suppose I should have known that mentioning a particular temperature
would get me "corrected." But if you recall I was replying to a question
about AUTOCLAVING, which the gentleman said involved heating the gelatin
via overpressurized steam to bring solutions or objects to or even above
120 centigrade... That's well beyond boiling -- and for a duration of
time.

(Talk about resting your puppies !)

Judy