Re: Sharp plane of focus

From: Jack Fulton ^lt;jefulton1@comcast.net>
Date: 12/27/05-01:08:23 PM Z

I've not been conversing much on the list since returning from Italy
this past summer
but
I must agree with Judy re Avedon. In fact, if you look at the oeuvre
of Avedon it primarily
shows a pejorative stance toward people in general. I'm not there
myself, in my head/heart,
but I think his work is brilliant with a straightforward simplicity.
Richard very kindly called me
where I teach and asked for a group of our students only to come and
visit with him at the
Berkeley Museum of Art when his exhibit on the The American West was
hung, large and direct.
He was a most charming and sincere man and the students really
enjoyed that hour or two with
him. The work then, as were his earlier images of famous (did he do
much other than fame in
a way?) people such as Dwight Eisenhower, portrays a weirdness within
the human psyche.
In some ways I feel the same thing about humanity when we check out
Milosovich, Pol Pot,
Mao, Fidel, Stalin, Mugabwe and even what is occurring within our own
U.S. today. Greed is the
relevant issue of life's intercourse with destiny. Avedon knew that.