Re: Gum problem(s)

From: Tom Sobota ^lt;tsobota@teleline.es>
Date: 12/01/05-04:32:37 AM Z

I'm glad that you too have read it somewhere, Judy. I couldn't believe that
I'd be the only one...

I cannot tell if they really did it or not. But why not? It's so easy ...

What I _did_ tell is that I tried it and found it useful. For me, that is.

But I see that I did not express myself clearly as to the procedure. The
idea is to spread a little of the gum/pigment/dichromate on a real
newspaper, with a finger perhaps, let it dry and then verify if the
written text on the newspaper still can be read or at least still can be
seen through. Only then, after perhaps adjusting the pigment content in
your mixture, you coat the definitive paper.

Attempting to read a newspaper through a coated paper would have been
impossible even for Demachy, I think. And futile, in a way, because the
whole purpose of the test is to verify the transparency of the mixture
before coating, not after.

Nothing that could not be done today with a densitometer, a photometer or
even a simple photocell, by the way.

Tom
P.S. Sorry but I cannot understand the meaning of 'but I suspect that the
idea suffices'. 'suffices' as in 'sufficient'? You mean that 'the idea is
enough'? Please keep in mind that I'm one of those on this list that you
was speaking of the other day: English is only my fourth language :-)