Re: Pictorico Bummer

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 08/20/05-08:47:19 PM Z

Judy,

Each density difference of log 0.10 is about 1/3rd of a stop, so a
difference of log .20 is 2/3rd of a stop.

Exposure is based on shadow density. So, assume that you had one
negative (Negative A) with a shadow density ready of log .10, and
you know the exposure that makes a perfect print. Now, if you have
another negative (Negative B) with a shadow density value of log
.30, you know that it will need 2/3rd of a stop more exposure.

Assume that the correct exposure for Negative A was 60 seconds.
Negative B will need 2/3 of a stop more exposure, or 100 seconds. A
1/3 stop increase would be 20 seconds, a 2/3 stop increase 40
seconds, and a full stop increae would be 60 seconds.

This applies to all negatives, in-camera or digital negatives.
Unfortunately, you need a UV densitometer to make this type of
reading when working with UV processes. But you can get around it by
test printing step wedges.

Best,

Sandy