Re: Learning a new process-reply

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 08/14/05-04:37:07 PM Z

Robert W. Schramm wrote:

 Don't let someone talk
> you into starting with a more difficult process like gum because there are
> simply more ways to
> goof up with gum than with cyanotype and more opinions about how to do gum
> than cyanotype.

Ummm.... Bill says he wants to learn gum printing and asks how best to
start-- is it feasible to learn it on his own, or should he seek out
classes or workshops or something? And your answer is, don't let anyone
talk you into starting with gum?

Lots of people, even lots of people on this list, have learned gum
printing on their own without learning cyanotype first; it's not all
THAT hard. Printing cyanotype might get him to reliable cyanotype prints
faster, but I don't see how it would get him to reliable *gum* prints
any faster, and if that's the goal, why not head straight for it?
Katharine Thayer