Re: Pt./Pd. question acid pre-soak

From: Clay ^lt;wcharmon@wt.net>
Date: 08/12/05-08:46:17 AM Z

On Aug 12, 2005, at 9:10 AM, Eric Neilsen wrote:

> Clay, I missed this post yesterday. That was a 2% citric acid bath for
> several minutes?

I soak the Fabriano EW for about 5 minutes minimum. I try to rotate
through the stack just like developing sheet film so that I get fresh
acid on the paper in a regular manner. I don't have any way to
measure pH to the precision you are talking about. I just have the
paper strips that are by-guess and by-golly. I generally mix up 4
liters of acid soak at a time and that seems to treat about 10 full
sheets of EW with no problem. I mix it fresh each time.
> Have you just taken the Fabriano and soaked it in
> distilled water as a pre treatment.
Yes. It doesn't work. (in the sense of allowing you to make a decent
platinum print) There is one hell of a lot of carbonate in EW. It
fizzes when you put it in the acid bath. Tiny little bubbles.
> Have you checked the pH of the acid bath
> after? How do you determine how many sheets you can treat?

10 sheets is all I can dry at one time, and my tray holds about 4
liters of solution. That is as scientific as I get on the pre-
treatment issue!

Clay