RE: Black spots in Pt./Pd.

From: BOB KISS ^lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Date: 08/09/05-09:25:29 AM Z

DEAR SANDY,
        My 3 cents...
        I have never found any problem with Lennox so I feel that is a low
probability. What I DID find is that I have to clean the necks of my Ferric
Oxalate dropper bottles and the inside of the dropper cap EVERY TIME before
use. The crust of desiccated FO on them can fall into the solution as fine
clumps or crystals and create black spots upon development. I had black
spots on my prints using Lennox, Cranes Platinotype, and COT before I
started doing this and I have never had any spots since!
        If you don't use droppers look for some place where the FO can dry and
crystallize as the source of trouble.
        Some suggest that, if your metal solutions aren't warm enough you can get
precipitates that can cause similar problems but, living in the tropics, I
don't have that problem Some suggest that roller paper trimmers emit shards
of iron or steel that can cause the same spots but I use a roller trimmer
and have never had a problem with any of the papers above.

 Please check my website: http://www.bobkiss.com/