Re: Presentation Question

From: PhotoGecko Austin ^lt;gecko@photogecko.com>
Date: 09/11/04-07:55:44 AM Z

Hmmmm. . . .

I'm thinking thumb tacks. Or maybe push-pins. The really big primary
colored ones.

Oh! Or maybe that blue chewing gum-like sticky-goo that gives meaning
to life for 1st graders. It's just gotta be archival, right!

Seriously, I hang everything in off-the-shelf ready-made
(NielsenBainbridge, I think they are) thin (not thick, mind you
Judy--but they are all the same size) black frames with 2 inch chalky
mat borders. Boring as it can be, for me anyway. But my thinking is
that the more obvious the presentation, the more effected (. . .
altered? . . . constricted? . . . corrupted, perhaps?) the viewer's
perception of the print will be. Context effects the subject. And if
I spend a lot of energy around elaborate or creative framing the
framing becomes the point, which defeats my purpose. I want the
presentation to be as mundane as Special K in skim milk. I want it to
isolate the image and be invisible--nothing less or more. I don't want
anybody to say, "Oh, my--what a clever presentation!" I mean, it's not
a tuna steak, fer gosh sakes.

Judy loved Bea Nettles' work in books-- why might that be? Maybe
because the work was visible on the page. . . ? But in the thick black
frames, the frames became the point. . . ?

I dunno.

Hey. . . how about Scotch Tape? Any archival virtues there? Or, heck.
. . Duct Tape holds up pretty well.

Best to all,
John
John Campbell