RE: Good first alt process

From: Peter Marshall ^lt;petermarshall@cix.co.uk>
Date: 11/04/04-03:21:30 AM Z

> I always think cyanotype is a good starting point. It's relatively easy,
> monochrome and cn be done in sunlight without too much trouble. Enjoy!!!
>
> Kate

Alistair,

I think discussions here can make gum seem difficult, but really reflect
the fact that it is a very flexible process and can give usable results
with very different individual ways of working. Everyone 'perfects' the
process to get what they want from it. Beware of anyone who tries to lay
down law about it.

I've had quite a few students who have tried gum, and none have failed to
get results of a kind first time, whichever book or notes they have worked
from. So if you are interested in gum, give it a try. When you've made a
few following whichever book or online resource you start with, start to
read some of the comments here and see which improve your results.

Cyanotype is a great, easy process to start with, but if you want to do
gum, do it. One advantage of gum is that you can easily do it with a paper
negative made by contacting a print onto another sheet of paper, or from
inkjet negative prints on paper. I'm not suggesting this will give the
best possible results (though some of my favourite gums were made this
way), but gum is relatively fast and these things work.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/