Re: uranium oxide

From: Robert W. Schramm ^lt;schrammrus@hotmail.com>
Date: 03/27/04-05:22:26 PM Z

Black uranium oxide is just that---uranium oxide. It is used in ceramics
glazes. The "yellow stuff" is uranium nitrate. They are not interchangable.

Not trying to be nasty, but if one does not know the difference between an
oxide and a nitrate, maybe one should not be dealing with this stuff.

Both of these compounds are dangerous. Of course they are both radioactive.

I believe that the oxide is not soluable in water. The nitrate is soluable
in water and can be absorbed through the skin. I wouldn't want to breath
any of the oxide powder. I would think it would hang around in the lungs for
quite a while.

Just a word of caution. The larger the mass of the sample, the more
radiation produced. A pound sounds to me like a lot. I hope its in a sealed
container.

Bob Schramm
Check out my web page at:

  http://www.SchrammStudio.com

&gt;From: Barry Kleider &lt;bkleider@sihope.com&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
&gt;Subject: Re: uranium oxide
&gt;Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:46:43 -0600
&gt;
&gt;I don't know you.
&gt;We never met.
&gt;I don't know the words to the Internationale.
&gt;I've never read theKoran.
&gt;And I never sent this email.
&gt;
&gt;Barry Kleider
&gt;Photographer. Arts Educator.
&gt;612.722.9701
&gt;email: bkleider@sihope.com
&gt;Web: www.barryphotography.com
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; ----- Original Message -----
&gt; From: Michael Healy
&gt; To: alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca
&gt; Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 1:37 AM
&gt; Subject: uranium oxide
&gt;
&gt;
&gt; I just scored a quantity (a couple pounds, I think) of &quot;black
uranium oxide&quot;. It really is black. This stuff doesn't look at all like
the vials of yellow stuff I've purchased on eBay in gram form. I'm wondering
about the difference. Rifling through Google, I'm looking for one, but I'm
not getting every far. So I'm wondering - does anybody know what BLACK
uranium oxide is, and why it's different from the yellow stuff?
&gt;
&gt; In case you're wondering, this is NOT Ashcroft-related, not in my
opinion, anyhow. (If they come for me, tho, there's really no arguing...)
This is strictly for toning. But the black stuff may be for ceramic glazes.
It seems to have a melting point just this side of what they detonated over
Nevada in 1944.
&gt;
&gt; Mike

Get tax tips, tools and access to IRS forms – all in one place at MSN Money!
http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/home.asp