Re: Charcoal Prints

From: Richard Sullivan ^lt;richsul@earthlink.net>
Date: 03/08/04-01:17:29 PM Z

Mark,

Nice essay!

I think the distinction comes easier if one uses Walter Chappell's dictum
(written in 1948) that photographers fell into two basic categories: print
makers and image makers.

Digital prints do make sense for image makers. The collector market still
seems that it would prefer a silver print over a digital of Cartier
Bresson's work, though since he does not print his own work, I don't see
much difference. Once the image in the computer is fixed one can crank out
an edition faster than the handmade silver prints. Once print speed goes up
one can look at digital as a way to print editions opf photo books.

Melody and I traipsed Chelsea (NYNY) last September and took in the shows.
Lots of huge (48x48) C41 prints for big bucks. Strangely very few digitals.
I would suspect that a 48 inch digital color chrome print would outlast a
C41. Whjy one would buy a fading print for better than $10,000.00 is beyond
me. But then there are people who redecorate their Park Av apartments every
two years and donate everything to Goodwill.

We did see the absolutely luscious gums of Ernestine Rubin at Stevenson
Gallery. Wow!

--Dick