Re: Pictorialism Exhibition Opportunity

From: Jim Flack ^lt;jfflack@pacbell.net>
Date: 02/06/04-01:12:28 PM Z

Sandy,

Thank you for your question. The New Pictorialist Society was founded in
1967 and is incorporated as a Non-Profit Corporation. The organization
exists to promote the understanding, appreciation and practice of Pictorial
Photography. The roots of Pictorialism extend back to the 19th century.
Indeed, Fox Talbot pursued the invention of photography as a means of his
own pictorial expression. As the processes improved and Kodakers abounded,
photo-artists banded together to encourage each other's photographic
expression and to set themselves apart from the snap-shooters. Alfred
Stieglitz, Clarence White, the Linked Ring, etc., were motive forces in the
late 19th and early 20th century working to establish Photography as among
the fine arts.

Modernism, abstractionism and the pursuit of scientific perfection, among
other forces in the 1930's, gave rise to the misguided term "straight
photography" and those photographers of the F-64 ilk were vociferous in
denouncing Pictorialism as not a legitimate style of photography. It is
unfortunate that pictorialism was so undermined but, fortunately, there are
still photographers today who continue to work in the Pictorialist style.
The New Pictorialist Society is a resource to encourage their work. The
organization was quite active throughout the 1970's and 1980's but the costs
of publishing newsletters and serving a world-wide community could not be
sustained and the organization reduced its formal activities in the early
1990's. Now, with the Internet and desk-top publishing, The New
Pictorialist Society is being re-energized.

It was interesting to read people's comments about the high cost of paying
to be in a Gallery show. The NPS sponsored Gallery Exhibit is a good
example of how NPS as a non-profit corporation can serve the community. We
have selected a venue that has been made available as a promotion for the
gallery. The only cost to exhibit, if selected, is 20 bucks paid to NPS,
not the gallery. The NPS will promote the exhibit and encourage sales and
will only take 20% of actual proceeds to process the transaction. The catch
is that this is a Pictorialism Exhibition. Although pictorialists used gum
bichromate, platinum, bromoil, carbon and many other "control" techniques to
achieve the Pictorialist image, not all gum bichromate, platinum, bromoil,
carbon or other control process is automatically a pictorial image. Some
folks like merlot and some folks like white zinfandel. We are
Pictorialists.

We believe one important feature of a Pictorial image is the personal
involvement by the Photo-Artist in creating the final image. Often this
goes well beyond dodge-and-burn tactics of a silver-gelatin print and makes
the resulting image truly one-of-a-kind that would not be easy to duplicate,
much less mass produce. Isn't this a key ingredient in a work of Art.

A photograph may be a picture but is it Pictorial? We hope many of you
consider exploring your portfolio, perhaps you'll find a Pictorial image or
two that are candidates for this exhibit.

Best regards,

Jim Flack