Re: Pay to show in galleries? When to make that choice if at all....

From: Eric Nelson ^lt;emanmb@yahoo.com>
Date: 02/06/04-12:28:59 AM Z

I think it would come down to this. Would you really
want to show at those specific galleries?

Yes, getting a show in NYC can get a notch on the belt
but who else do they show and how well do they curate?
 If it becomes a group show, will they put some gawd
awful work next to yours? Does anyone go to those
galleries or show up for their openings besides
relatives of the artist, or are they well attended and
respected in the community?

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of gallery
doings but those are some basic questions to ask and
ask yourself about any gallery before committing since
they will be representing you and your works.

The "reality" as it was put in the web page you
mention, is valid for the gallery owners/operators as
far as their expenses. But I would make sure the one
you chose, if you were to go that route, would reflect
on you in a way you desire, and you not end up being
part of a hodge podge of works from variying
aesthetics and mediums incongruent w/the work you want
to present.
As the article you mentioned says, investigate.

Eric
http://www.eman-photo.com/

--- Christopher Lovenguth <chris@chrisportfolio.com>