Re: Some temperaprint questions - beware! these are dummy, beginners questions

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@bellsouth.net>
Date: 02/04/04-06:24:43 AM Z

Loris,
     This is wonderful! I am keeping your message below to show to my
professor to explain why I may only produce 1/10 of the print numbers in gum
as I would in BW.
     Two things: you could cut off 1 hr of drying time with a hair dryer
instead of air drying the sensitized paper. I never do a 4th coat, or
rarely anyway, so that could cut off another 2 hours. I also have about 8
going at once so in that span of time I get more than 1 result. However, you
are absolutely right about the time expense of gum (unless doing monochrome,
in which case 2 coats is even sufficient), especially in waiting for the
paper to dry after development.
     I have this unique set up in my bathroom: I have a bunch of baby
hangers (the kind that anal parents use to hang up their 2 year old's
clothing, I mean, really) with clothespins, and I hang each print on those,
and hang a hanger off another hanger, so my whole bathroom is covered with
these cascading hanger sets (and therefore nowhere to pee). Waiting for the
prints to dry so you can do another coat is like watching grass grow. I
spend that time angsting over why on earth I am doing what I am doing. It's
an addiction.
     BUT, at least my outcome is better than the 1% success rate that Phil
Davis talks about on his website...or I"m WAY less picky.
     From going through the back issues of the BJP what I can gather is that
gum fell out of use not only because it was less sharp than other processes
but that they couldn't figure out a way to get exact results over and over
(Zimmerman notwithstanding) and therefore commercialize it. Aside from the
fact that it was way too artistic a process and therefore crossed the
boundary into painting (God forbid).
Chris