Re: Leaf and Canon questions

From: PhotoGecko Austin ^lt;gecko@photogecko.com>
Date: 04/07/04-06:21:10 PM Z

Thanks Julian! (and others who've responded) -- your comments are most
helpful.

I believe the 35mm sensor remains in the new Leaf ProDigital6, which
leads me back to my after-thought question: Is there any distinct
advantage to a larger format size (large vs. medium vs. 35mm) for
digital image production. Specifically, will one get more image
information from a medium format camera with a digital back than with a
(smaller, lighter, more transportable and less intrusive) 35mm digital
camera of equal resolution? I've noticed, for example, that Calumet
has a large format rail & bellows system which brackets onto a Canon
D1s for image capture.

So, my question is this: Is format still in the equation?

Intuitively, I would think the answer is yes. . . . but my intuition
has led me far afield on more occasions than I care to remember.
(Although there was that girl long ago in Kent who. . . . Oh, never
mind.)

I've come to rely on medium and large format film images over the last
several years-- but, as I said in my initial post, our workflow demands
(processing in Pyro, scanning, spotting, spotting some more, editing,
and spotting again) are just taking up too much time and space and have
reached the point of hampering our growth.

Anyway, my deepest appreciation to all for pondering these matters.

Best regards,
John
John Campbell
PhotoGecko Studios & Gallery