Comments please - part 2

From: Jonathan Bailey (jon@jonathan-bailey.com)
Date: 10/26/03-10:13:59 AM Z

Greeting once again,

I *very* much appreciate all your thoughts and comments. They are all very
helpful!! (It seems, however, that I am reading responses to posts when I
have yet to see the original. Also, comments were arriving at my server
before *my* original post arrived.... what's with that?)

Anyway - Last night I sent a response challenging this person on his request
to use the image for free. Below all this is the (very considerate and
quite sincere) response he sent me this morning.

But, first:

Greg Schmitz asked - "Jon, what was the subject line?" (The email he sent
me?? There was no subject line....)

Dave Rose said:

>>It may be an unreasonable request, but at least they asked, rather than
just
taking/stealing the image! As I read the request, it was made respectfully
and with good intentions.>>

Point well taken!

>>I don't know how you'd feel about enlarging your image to "big mural"
size,
but if that's not feasible, perhaps offering to sell this person a smaller
framed print would be an appropriate response.

I cannot provide him mural size. (it's fun to consider, however!)

>>It's quite flattering that someone is excited enough with your work to
want
to cover an entire wall with it. I'm curious to see the image in question.
Can you provide a link to it?>>

http://www.jonathan-bailey.com/images/dianas/Boston_MA_1998.jpg

Phillip Murphy wrote:

> Am I naive to see this as a reasonable request? Are images so precious
that only the well healed or the in crowd have the opportunity to enjoy or
be
> inspired by them?>>

Very much in the same vein as David Rose's comment - and I agree! I
absolutely want to get an image of mine to someone who expresses sincere
interest. I believe in being creative in my response to these requests.

But, I am now pondering the wisdom of sending him an (infinitely
reproducible) high-res scan of the image. Many comments have raised some
concerns for me on this issue. How foolish would that be? On the other
hand, there is a voice inside me which also says, trust may not be so
misplaced in sending this guy a CD with the scan. What's the worst thing
that might happen, and what is the likelihood of that happening in any
event??

I'm just trying to think this thing through before responding to his latest
missive, which follows:
============================
This morning's letter:

Hi Mr. Bailey, I understand your confusion with my request. I was not
looking to have you work for free. I understand now, how my email was
worded could offend you. Let me rephrase. I would love to have a
high-res scan of this image for use as a mural of sorts. I do not know
what I can do to get this because the pricing I saw was for managed
rights. I do not plan on using this is a sellable piece. I am willing to
pay for the use of this image, I just wanted to clarify that I was not
using it for public view. Would you be interested in a barter agreement?
My graphic/web design group can do almost anything you can think of.
Like I said, I do not mind paying for this piece, but because I am
starting with very little capital I would like to explore any options
you are interested in. On another note...

You do great work. I have viewed your site and came away very impressed
with your work. My email was not meant to imply anything about the
quality of your work other than that it was beautiful. I have never seen
a picture that I was so instantly connected with.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Best - Jon
www.jonathan-bailey.com
Tenants Harbor, Maine