Re: Neo-Pictorialism, sally mann and Witkin (sort of)

From: shannon stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 10/12/03-07:56:01 AM Z

> However Sally's children knew perfectly well what was
>going on and in my opinion the world is richer for having those works.

I like those photographs a lot too, but I share Galina's, and
other's, queasiness about them. I wonder if there can be such a thing
as "informed consent" in a four year old. Virginia was quite small
when some of the pictures were made. Surely the littlest ones could
not have known how these pictures would be perceived by some people.
I read that Sally Mann stopped photographing her children nude when
Virginia was being followed by a stalker! Also, her oldest daughter,
while she reveres her mother, seems to have had a lot of problems and
you wonder if it might have something to do with having your mother
photograph you nude a lot and show the pictures to the world. I
can't imagine doing the same thing to my own children. It's too bad
that children's beauty and nascent sexuality is a sexual turn-on for
some people, but it would be naive to pretend that that doesn't exist
because it shouldn't exist.

--shannon