Re: help with Imacon scanner needed please

From: Catherine Rogers (crogers@mpx.com.au)
Date: 10/05/03-05:02:53 PM Z

Kate wrote:

<Personally, I'd never buy anything called I'm a con!!!!!!!

<<snigger>

I was just about to remark that Kate appears to be a rather cynical person, in the light of her above remark, when John (PhotoGecko) suggested that the problem may well be personal. Oh oh. Well, that thought had in fact crossed my mind, and the dealers certainly implied that it was a personal problem. Mine - incompetence.

So far out of three Flextight Photo users who so kindly responded, 2 of us are having major problems. Others who also kindly responded are using different machines. But, interestingly, I think that the software is the same for all Flextight machines. I am wondering if the software is a particular problem for the Photo model - which is, I might add, the cheapest of the range. (More sniggers.) So far that is the only observation that I can make, apart from the obvious temperamental nature of the thing. (OK, so maybe it is part human. More like a darlek.)

Eric suggested that I clean up the computer hard drive. An excellent idea, thank you, and I have spent the day doing just that until a thunderstorm errupted a few minutes ago. Drought not withstanding. I can hear John thinking well, there's a good use for an Imacon, use it to break a drought. (Teaching cyanotype printing to a large class without any indoor u.v. lights is a really good way to break a drought too IMO.)

Thanks again to all who have responded.
I feel I have a clearer idea of the situation and am ready to call the dealers again this week and ask them what THEY are going to do about the problem.

cheers
Catherine

PhotoGecko wrote:
  Oh!

  You are in Aus-TRAL-ia!

  (Forgive me, please, for not having noted that before.)

  The solution in Australia is simple: just turn the device upside-down and re-install the software backwards. ( With lights off, of course.) Then scan your images from the bottom up!

  That should do it.

  Seriously, it was my utter frustration with the Imacon (from the standpoint of time invested in each image) that lead me to buy the MicroTek (and, no, I am not employed by them). And I absolutely agree with you that, for the money (Good Gawd!), the Imacon should deliver a more satisfactory AND predictable result (meaning several things) without so many mind/body/spirit gyrations.

  But. . .

  I also note that there are those among us who find delight along the Imacon Way ( even to the point of making offers to purchase my paperweight Flextight Photo--and those who have replied to you in all earnestness regarding the configuration of your particular system, hoping to help you make it work--Kind souls, they are.).

  So, I'm now thinking that the problem lies not in the Imacon or its native software but in individual peculiarities--meaning that different people get different results, depending on a whole host of psycho-social, genetic, neurological, and theological configurations. And that's only the beginning.
  Perhaps some of us are destined to be Imacon worthy. . . the rest of us, sadly not.

  snip, snip....