Re: Silver cristals in Salt Print emulsion

From: Jack Fulton (jefulton1@attbi.com)
Date: 05/30/03-10:45:13 AM Z

Agustin:
  Yes, it seemed the citric acid could be a problem with the precipitation.
However, try to heat the solution a little . . not so that it boils . . to
about 130ºF (54ºC) and see if that dissolves the precipitate.
  When you find the book . . I wouldn't try to print the whole thing but
only certain pages relating to the salt print, the solutions and
information, and the methods of fixing etc. It is important to use normal
fixer and not the rapid type sold in most photographic stores. However, I've
not visited Buenos Aires so I do not know know what chemicals are sold (I
have visited Mendoza however).
  I am including, for you, Joe's PDF file which really contains the primary
information in the Reilly book.
  The secret I have found, is the coating. One of my students went to the
Pacific Ocean and gathered a gallon of water from underneath the Golden Gate
Bridge (I teach @ the San Francisco Art Institute . . . here is a web site
of my school so you can see the type of work I do . .
.http://www.sfai.edu/database/people_detail.asp?xiID=483)
  This ordinary salt water, pure from the ocean, did an excellent job of
salting the paper. We then either brushed on with a hake brush or used a
glass rod (better) a small solution of 12% silver nitrate. We used about 6-8
milliliters for the glass rod per 8"x10" paper.
  Anyway, I am including with this email, Joe's PDF file for you. Enjoy, be
patient, keep trying and soon, the salt print will be yours. Remember, the
negative is the most important element.
  Best
Jack Fulton