Seeking Relief - Gum Tumescence

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 05/03/03-11:12:33 AM Z

Anyone, anyone..

Okay, so I was doing a batch of gum-overs today, and right as
development was finished, I marveled over the relief that water swollen
gum always shows. I have done a lot of these, but every time I see it,
I just think the surface relief of the 'mountainous' shadows is really
cool. I know that carbon printers wax lyrical over the physical relief
their process can exhibit, and I began to wonder if there is any way
short of a gazillion gum layers to preserve that relief in gum. I'm
wondering if there is some sort of process that causes the remaining
gum after development to swell and stay swollen as it hardens. Any
colloidal scientists out there with a miracle polymer in which we could
soak our finished prints and get permanent relief?

Clay