Re: Kallitypes - Photo-Minature 47

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 03/08/03-10:19:20 PM Z

I found this in the postpone file -- something must have intervened. Don't
know if it's still relevant, but if Scott is adding gum to kallitype, it
may be...

 On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Scott Wainer wrote:

> Re: Kallitypes - Photo-Minature 47Hi Sandy,
>
> I should add that I took Stevens at his word regarding the level of
> difficulty in getting an even coating with a colloid added to the
> sensitizer and must confess that I have personally never tested the
> concept. His book is not a very good manual for making kallitypes but
> I have a great deal of respect for the methodology and exhaustiveness
> of his testing procedures so trusted his results on this.

Well again, to repeat myself --- Stevens has done a lot of testing, but
he's put it in the mixmaster... his book reads as if he emptied his notes
on the page & often you don't know what he's claiming.... and then leaves
out the part you're wondering about. I recall (just for example, there
were many & it was years ago) he said higher percent of silver makes a
bluer tone, and a page later, redder tone... or maybe it was vice versa..
His claims about print color by changing developers are also fantasy.
Read the book, but do NOT take it as gospel. And of course as with any
medium, your own "touch" and your ingredients are serious variables.

BUT PS. I would think (and this is just a guess) that a colloid added to
sensitizer could diminish D-max. My guess is based on 2 notions:

1. if it worked, it would have become standard practice

and

2. I believe kalli is one of those emulsions you need to go INTO the
paper, not sit on top of it.

J.