Re: Kallitypes again

FOTAR2@aol.com
Date: 03/08/03-10:10:09 AM Z

Scott,
    I agree with everything that Sandy said. I would add that I use a15%
silver solution and a 10% FeOx solution. The low concentration of FeOx gives
me the fastest printing speeds with my UV bulbs. Something about the
filtering effect caused by the yellow color of the FeOx. I like short
printing times.
    I am a little doubtful about the necessity for gelatin coating. Unless
it's done exactly right, it could account for the mottling in your finished
print. I use Stonehenge with no sizing and get good results. Then to add Gum
Arabic to the mix might be a bit redundant as I think it would tend to
accomplish the same thing as the gelatin sizing.
    Bronzing always seems to lay in wait for Kallitype printers. The only
consistency I have found is that it shows up when I overexpose. When I get my
negatives and exposure time correctly balanced, I am able to get a full scale
of tones, and the black border, which should correspond to an overexposure,
either doesn't solarize at all, or even if it does appear to be there when
the print is still wet, dries down to a pure black.
    Kallitype is tricky. I would try the simplest possible procedure, limit
the variables, the problems might be a little easier to track.

Best of luck
Bob