Re: fogging; japanese photography; gum

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 03/04/03-10:01:41 AM Z

Ed,
    I'm not exactly answering your question but here are some thoughts:
      I tried this on Rives BFK, Arches Cover, St. Armands, and now I forget
which others, but the unsized Rives worked the best. The others stained.
It must have enough size in the paper, like Judy said Buxton did (which gave
me the original idea to try it one coat, no size). Now, mind you, it is a
gritty look--like a charcoal drawing! I could scan it to you and send you a
jpeg. But it definitely cleared to white when I pot metabisulfited it (is
that a verb) with Livick's proportion of 1%, or 2 tsp of pot met in 1 liter
water.
    It taught me that I can certainly "up" my pigment amount, but it would,
at that concentration, be best with a one layer gum. However, I did the
same experiment with 6g to 12ml Daniel Smith Pinkcolor, a REALLY weakly
pigmented color that has never worked for me to be worth it, and I gave it a
12 minute exposure under UV, and it looks sickly green when it comes out, of
course, because the dichromate color overpowers it, but when I cleared it,
it was a beautiful pale baby pink, finely detailed, that would make a great
first coat of gum to "size" the paper with like you are saying, below. I
had a white collar on a shirt and some dark blacks in the image and it did a
beautiful paler than pale, fully tonally detailed white collar. So, I guess
what I am saying, is why bother with straight gum arabic when you can get a
tad of a base color in there to print your highlights before you then put
another coat on top?
     On this list I have notes that the one layer unpigmented gum thing is
yukky so I never tried it.
Chris (who is rushing off to teach and has no BUSINESS sitting at this
computer instead of grading papers...but oh how fun)