Re: digital negs & Epson backlight film

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 06/09/03-12:50:12 PM Z

Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> > Judy and Christina - Epson Back Light Film is made of mylar, which
> > completely blocks UV (in other words, it is a UV filter, and will appear
> > black in UV light). I don't know what the Kodak film is, but since most of
> > their films are either of acetate or poly plastics, they should not block
> > UV transmission.
> > ---sil
> > Sil Horwitz, FPSA
>
> This is fascinating. I've read with some of the processes (Ziatype in
> particular) that you can use a thin mylar or acetate sheet in between the
> negative and the sensitized paper to protect the neg. Obviously, from what
> you say, it can't be a mylar sheet!
> Chris

I have used .0005 mylar for two purposes in gum printing: (1) as a
protective barrier between the negative and the paper, to protect the
print when I've used a freshly-oiled paper negative that hasn't been
given enough time to dry properly, just to be absolutely sure I don't
get any oil on the emulsion, and (2) as a base for cliche-verre
negatives. It's been a while since I've done either; I don't remember
the mylar barrier slowing down the printing of the paper negative enough
to notice, but I do remember clearly that the mylar cliche-verre
negatives printed in significantly less time than oiled paper or
Pictorico negatives (1 minute or less vs. 3-5 minutes). So I'm perplexed
at the news that mylar blocks UV light.

Katharine Thayer, writing from an alternative universe where mylar
transmits UV light.