Re: inkjet negs

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 07/28/03-10:12:54 PM Z

Hi:

>From your email header it looks like you use an OS X Mac. If you can not
solve your problems tweaking the settings of the epson print driver, you
could try using the gimpprint print drivers, rather than the epson
drivers. These drivers work will work with the cups print manager used in
OS 10.2 and newer. If your version of OS X is older than this, you would
have to upgrade the system - not sure if it would be worth your trouble.

Gimpprint is completely different print driver. I've not heard much about
it from digital alt-photo people. It has 16 bit output - I'm
not sure if the standard epson driver does this.

Can be downloaded from
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

It requires the ghostscript package (which is available from the same web
page)

The gimpprint homepage is here:
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/index.php3

Another idea where I'm getting other people to do the footwork

Gord

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, epona wrote:

> oh, i know you all have probably been down this road alot so bear with
> me.....
>
> i am just beginning to try to make inkjet negs with my Epson 820 onto
> Pictorico OHP film. as a test i made a print onto regular paper that
> looked great. then on the film, i see banding in the darker areas and
> the print looks very light. can anyone give me a brief rundown of
> things i can do to improve the neg? i have the media setting on
> "inkjet transparencies" because that's what pictorico recommeded, and
> it's printing at 720 dpi by default. my file is about 55mb. any ideas?
>
> tia,
> ~christine

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2