Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/04/03-02:39:35 PM Z

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Don Bryant wrote:

> > Also, that orange apparently doesn't work with gum (if it did we couldn't
> > print orange !), and I gather may not work well with cyanotype either. I
> > don't know about the silver processes.
> >

> I don't follow your logic here. The orange dye provides a similar effect to
> pyro stained negatives for the transmission of UV light, as I understand it.
> You should be able to print any color of gum with colorized negatives. Can
> someone explain how this isn't true and would affect the printing of gum of
> any color?

Here is my "logic," which with gum printing (or any alt) may have been a
mistake since I didn't actually TRY it, only logicked it.

I can print a fairly normal gum coating with an orange, or a yellow, or a
red. Exposure times may be longer than with blue, but not that much
longer, and with a thin or light coat, not much at all.

The dichromate orange doesn't necessarily count since that tends to turn
brown in the light, and/or disappear in the paint mix. And I also do not
consider goldenrod paper or rubylith, since the former is so so and both
are on another substrate.

Since gum will expose through the orange, that is, there's orange emulsion
over the highlights and shadows and it exposes differentially through it,
my assumption was that an orange "negative" would be inadequate.

I have many other reasons for avoiding spectral density... namely that
physical density with black works on my densitometer, is more than dense
enough for my purposes, at 1440 dpi is as smooth as will show if not
smoother, and with the 1160 is happening at $4 a cartridge... So do i need
more complications?

> Yesterday I read about a new inkjet printing package beta named Ink Jet
> Control (IJC) for printing gray scale images. The current relaese supports
> only the Epson 1160/1280/2200 desk top printers and the 7000/9000 series
> printer. Among other things this software will allow you to control which
> inkjets are used for printing.

Hmmmmm... how I do NOT want more software, but..... how much is it? (My
understanding BTW is that the new Epsons, 2200 & up give some of that
control already.)

> I've heard estimates that Epson inks cost the consumer $4000 to $8000 a
> gallon, hence my desire to use other inks.

Somebody, maybe on this list, advised the 3000. I already have two
printers, but.... it prints 16 inches wide & unchipped. Still available so
far apparently.

Judy