Re: Cyan and Digital Negs

From: Carolyn Frayn (carolynfrayn@shaw.ca)
Date: 01/04/03-12:25:13 PM Z

Hi Don and Judy..
>> AFAIK, only one "software" program required -- Photoshop. I printed from
>> Photoshop onto my ancient old laser.
>
> Well that depends. If you are printing physical density negatives with the
> Piezotone inkset the Piezo driver is required.

Or Pressready to the older printers it supports.

>If you use an MIS inkset for
> example, a specific curve for that inkset may be required also. All off
> which are targeted to Epson printers. The Colorbyte Image Print 5 RIP may
> support other printers besides Epsons though.

> Yesterday I read about a new inkjet printing package beta named Ink Jet
> Control (IJC) for printing gray scale images. The current relaese supports
> only the Epson 1160/1280/2200 desk top printers and the 7000/9000 series
> printer. Among other things this software will allow you to control which
> inkjets are used for printing.

This one is interesting as it allows you to use say the two black jets from
the 2200 (as you said), add a third or whatever for tone, or for transition
in neg's. It is a dongled software so it will not be inexpensive. On the
other hand, opposite to the IP5 RIP, the IJC uses user created profiles,
while IP5 requires a yearly mainanence fee to update with the profiles only
they can create for it is my understanding.

I printed my first black only print last night from the 2200, I have done
this from all my epsons to date with results that I wouldn't use. This one
surprised me. While not as rich and dense as using all 7 inks, it is very
detailed, smooth enough to play with. I'm going to experiement this way with
digital neg's, all new to me at this point as I wasn't sure which inkset and
printer to dive into for it first..

Also will be experimenting with GIMP now that Jaguar is installed. I hope to
isolate the two blacks on this printer best I can using channels... but
understand that as GIMP is still not a true functioning RIP, the color
positions are still muxed a bit going thru the driver, acting again as an
RGB driver.

Thanks for a truly great and inspiring resource.
Carolyn