Re: Photographic censorship question

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 02/28/03-04:55:06 PM Z

Dick,

this is not a case of photographic censorship, but there was a well known
case in Chicago at the Art Institute some years back involving the display of
some student work at the Institute. I believe the work depicted then Mayor
Washington in panty hose or something like that. I am sure it is in the
archives of the Tribune.

"It is worth recalling that in 1988, six months after Chicago mayor Harold
Washington died, an artist portrayed him in women’s underwear and hung his
masterpiece in the Art Institute of Chicago. The City Council immediately
voted to defund the museum and a cop literally snatched the painting off the
wall. Yet no one in the artistic community screamed "censorship." And what
did the museum do? It took out full-page ads in two newspapers apologizing
for what it did. "

http://www.specialtyarts.com/discuss-sensations.htm
http://culturalpolicy.uchicago.edu/sensation.html

There are quite a few hits on this topic when googled, but weeding out the
ones specific to photography may take some time.

Mark Nelson