Re: King Gum

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/26/03-12:43:06 PM Z

I have seen the same claim made for both carbon and platinum.

However, with all due respect to Franklin Jordan, and to all
contemporary gum printers, Jordan's statement is not consistent with
the popularity of pictorial printing practices from the time of their
first use until Jordan's period. Historically gum was the first of
the so-called control processes, and there are certainly many
wonderful images that have been made with it over the years. However,
when bromoil was introduced around the turn of the century it quickly
became far and away the most popular of the pictorial processes.
Almost everyone abandoned gum for bromoil and during the period from
1910-40 bromoil was by far the most popular of the two processes.
 From my research I would calculate that over 60% of all pictorial
work between 1910-40 consists of bromoil, and gum less than 20%. And
one certainly can not say that bromoil was more popular because it is
easier to work. To the contrary, it requires at least as much skill
to work as gum, and perhaps even more one gets into the transfer
procedures which gives really exquisite work.

Sandy